Mailgun is a high-growth, developer-focused email sending platform designed to attach to customers’ applications to provide high-volume email automation.
A Y-Combinator success story, Mailgun was founded in 2010 and acquired by Rackspace in 2012. In of February 2017, Mailgun spun back out as a standalone business focused on profitable growth. Mailgun is headquartered in San Antonio and has remote teams in San Francisco and Austin. The platform serves customers like Slack, Github, and Reddit, all of which rely on Mailgun to deliver email services for their core business needs.
As a Sales Engineer, you will represent Mailgun to prospective customers and the development community at-large, develop a deep understanding of customer requirements in pre-sales conversations, and develop a comprehensive solution for how Mailgun with integrate with a customer's application. This position will report directly into our CTO for the purpose of keeping a tight feedback loop between what our customers need and what we are building.
Represent Mailgun to prospective customers
- Partner with sales executives when working with prospective customers to help design an implementation plan and answer questions about best practices when integrating Mailgun with their application.
- Develop an understanding of competitive solutions and how they compare to Mailgun to respond to customer objections.
- Partner with marketing to develop content that describes the Mailgun product in a way that is authentic and resonates with developers.
- Partner with sales executives to respond to RFPs, including technical questionnaires that require a response during the pre-sales or renewal process.
- Recognize trends in feedback from prospects and relay this information to the product development team.
- Works in close collaboration with sales teams to design technical solutions for specific opportunities, develop account strategies and uncover additional business opportunities
- Applies a highly advanced knowledge of solutioning principles to a variety of sales opportunities with high MRR potential.
- Educate the sales and marketing teams on new product features and ensure the team is equipped to answer questions from prospects.
- Conduct webinars for prospective customers to learn more about about features and dig deeper into actual use cases
- Develop technical blogs and whitepapers that represent how Mailgun can be implemented and used in the best possible way.
- Attend conferences and partner with marketing to develop speaking proposals for conferences where Mailgun should have a strategic presence.
- General understanding of sales process, specifically as it pertains to advancing sales opportunities from presentation to onboarding
- 2 to 10 years in a customer-facing technical role.
- A strong understanding of the software development lifecycle with the ability to represent a customers needs to our CTO with the purpose of our own product development
- Experience in one or more of the following areas: web development, hosting services, email development, real-time communications.
- A firm understanding of enterprise integration best practices, service oriented architecture and models for sharing IT services across the enterprise.
- A world class communicator. Confident dispensing knowledge to a highly skilled and experienced audience including C-level executives.
- Bachelor's degree in Engineering, Computer Science, MIS or a comparable field is preferred.
- Typically 10-25% travel, depending on role.